Sunday, July 19, 2009

Let the teaching begin!

Tuesday morning in Zhu Zhou found me wanting for more sleep and a whole lot of air conditioning! We walked to the #4 King's Mountain Middle School at 10 a.m. to meet withthe administration, teachers and voluteers who would be working with us this week, as well as the co-ordinators for the camp here, Joyce Geh. She is a Chinese spit fire with elegance! The school is home 6 days a week to 2000 grade 7,8,&9 students. During the summer there are also extra Sunday classes!!

After the formalities, the college student volunteers held a welcoming party for us- filled with great ice-breakers and fun for the children and adults alike. The afternoon was spent exploring the city bus route and wandering the largest mall in the city, more for the six wonderful floors of a/c than the shopping. Everything here was extremely high end. Very different from the tourist markets in Beijing. An average t-shirt here cost about 80 dollars Cnd. and neither our credit nor bank cards worked here. Cash only. Glad I bought my souvenirs elsewhere.

3 comments:

  1. sorry about the spelling guys!! I was sure I spell checked- but it is always so late when I am writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl Robyn- your belly is gorgeous!!!!!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa
    I just found out you and your boys are in China. Wow! I skimmed through some of your blog and its sounds like you are being introduced to a whole new world. What an amazing experience for your family.
    I'm in BIRTH the play and really enjoying the chance to get out and do something for myself. Summer has finally landed in Saskatoon and we are loving it...spray parks, walks by the river, ice cream...

    Sara Stobbe

    ReplyDelete